By Jack Norris, RD, Executive Director
The great people at Tofurky sent me some samples of their new burgers and was I ever glad they did!
They have three versions: Spicy Black Bean, White Quinoa, and Hearty Hemp. When I saw the brand names I thought, “Oh, these are grain burgers. They won’t be very meaty or high in protein.” Au contraire!
Both the Spicy Black Bean and White Quinoa are very meaty burgers and they have 14-15 g of protein per burger. These are two of my favorite vegan burgers to date!
The Hearty Hemp is more of a grain burger and has 7 g of protein per serving. It’s also a delicious burger and will appeal more to people who are looking for something less meaty.
One thing I really enjoy about these burgers is that in addition to being tasty and satisfying, they also feel healthy—not an easy combination to pull off in a meaty burger.
Serves about 4.
- 1 medium ripe mango, peeled, pitted and diced
- 1 medium ripe avocado, peeled, seeded and diced
- ¼ cup fresh chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon minced, seeded jalapeño
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Zest and juice of 1 small lime
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 4 whole grain buns, sliced in half and toasted
- 4 Tofurky® Spicy Black Bean Burgers
- Vegan mayo
- In a medium bowl, gently toss mango, avocado, cilantro, jalapeno, oil, zest, juice, and salt.
- Grill burgers according to package directions. To assemble burgers, spread vegan mayo (mixed with hot sauce if desired) on each cut side of the bun. On the bottom half, add the burger and mango salsa, then cover with the top bun.
Ask your local grocery store to carry these Tofurky burgers!