By Jenny Engel and Heather Bell, Guest Contributors
Dark beer + chocolate bring out the best in each other, sort of like coffee + the morning. Combining these two into a single baked goodie just feels right. The cake is moist and elegant, while the stout adds notes of toffee and caramel.
Individual Chocolate Stout Cakes
Yields 12 personal cakes.
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- ¾ cup evaporated cane sugar
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon aluminum-free baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground flaxseed
- ⅔ cup unsweetened almond milk
- ½ cup dark beer
- ⅓ cup neutral-tasting oil
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons vegan dark chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar, for topping
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- In a medium bowl, whisk flours, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, sea salt, allspice, cinnamon, and flaxseed.
- Slowly whisk almond milk, beer, oil, maple syrup, and vanilla into dry ingredients until mixture is uniform and smooth. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Grease a 12-cake mini Bundt pan and pour batter into each section, filling each cup three-quarters full. Bake for 30 to 32 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Let cakes cool completely. Sift powdered sugar over the tops and serve.