Jalapeño Bacon Cornbread
Yields 12 servings.
- 6 tablespoons vegan butter spread, melted and divided
- 1 package Tofurky Smoky Maple Bacon Tempeh, diced into ¼” cubes
- 1 ½ cups cornmeal
- ½ cup conventional or gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup non-dairy milk
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 small jalapeño, seeds removed and minced
- Preheat oven to 400˚F. Lightly grease a cast iron skillet or 9” glass pie pan.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, warm 1 tablespoon vegan butter. Pan-fry tempeh until browned, about 4-5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, whisk together cornmeal, flour, baking powder, and salt. In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together milk, syrup, and remaining melted butter. Add to the dry mixture and stir just until combined. Fold in the tempeh and minced jalapeno.
- Pour into prepared skillet or pan, and bake until golden brown, about 20-25 minutes. You can test that a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool for 10 minutes in the skillet or pan before slicing into wedges.
Click here for the original recipe.