About Vegan Outreach
Founded in 1993, Vegan Outreach is a 501c3 nonprofit organization working to end violence towards animals. We seek a future when sentient animals are no longer exploited as commodities.
We focus on reaching the people who are motivated enough to make changes now—of which there are always many in our target audience who just need some additional encouragement. By steadily increasing the number of vegans we’re laying the groundwork to more quickly reach a tipping point.
For the 2018-19 school year, our primary goals are to:
- Inspire 50,000 people to sign up for 10 Weeks to Vegan
- June 30 update: We surpassed 70,000 signups, beating our goal by 20,000 people! We now have a new goal of 150,000 signups for 2019.
- Educate the current generation of college students about the concept of speciesism
Our programs include:
Massive Student Outreach
- Distributing persuasive booklets like What is Speciesism and Why Vegan at colleges, high schools, festivals, and concerts—to 1 million students at 1,000 schools each semester
- Showing iAnimal virtual reality videos to over 20,000 people per year
- Wide social media presence
- Community events—engaging talks and Q&A at community dinners, food sampling events, presentations, and movies
- Humane education—at high schools, middle schools, and colleges
- 10 Weeks to Vegan—guided challenge helping people go vegan
- Vegan mentors in over 1,000 cities and dozens of countries
- Nutrition recommendations from a registered dietitian
Making the Switch Easier
- Campaigns to add vegan entrees at restaurants and other foodservice establishments.
- Never shaming people, but rather embracing them in making changes at a sustainable pace that works for them.
- Putting the emphasis of veganism on avoiding obvious animal products, but using one’s time and energy advocating to others rather than focusing on personal purity or trace ingredients—see Talking to Friends and Family.
Reaching a Broad Range of People
- Outreach in remote regions—we’ve found much interest in locations outside of big cities and coastal areas.
- While based in the United States, we also have an extensive presence in Australia, Canada, Mexico, New Zealand, and most recently India.
Measuring Our Effectiveness
- We strive to be as effective as possible by regularly studying the impact of our outreach. Read about our studies in Leafleting and Booklet Effectiveness and Impact of 10 Weeks to Vegan.
Vegan Outreach strives to hire a diverse staff and to place women and people of color in leadership positions to foster different perspectives on effective outreach.