By Lori Stultz, VO Rocky Mountain Outreach Coordinator
Even if you’re not a fan of vegetables, you’re going to be a fan of these cupcakes.
Kim Sujovolsky, founder of Brownble, has shared some pretty fantastic recipes the last few months, and this sweet treat is no exception.
I’m excited to try this recipe the next time I go to a potluck or make food to share with friends and family. I’m certain they’ll be devoured in no time!
And for anyone who tries this recipe, be sure to leave a comment for Kim to let her know how much you loved this recipe!
Carrot Cake Cupcakes with Vanilla Walnut Topping
Yields 12 cupcakes.
- 1 ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup evaporated cane sugar (or regular granulated sugar)
- 1 ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ cup neutral tasting oil (coconut oil, canola, safflower, or sunflower)
- 1 ⅓ cup finely grated carrot
- ⅓ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 6 tablespoons aquafaba (drained liquid of a can of chickpeas)
Vanilla Walnut Topping
- 8 tablespoons powdered sugar
- A drizzle of vanilla extract
- ½ to 1 tablespoon non-dairy milk
- Some chopped walnuts
- Pre-heat the oven to 350°F and line a 12 piece cupcake pan with paper liners.
- In a large bowl combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Stir to combine.
- In a smaller bowl combine the oil, grated carrot, applesauce, and aquafaba. Stir well to combine.
- Add the wet ingredients into the large bowl and stir just until combined, being careful not to overtax.
- Fill the cupcake liners ¾ of the way up with the batter and bake in the oven for 15 to 17 minutes. Rotate the cupcake pan in the oven halfway through to ensure even baking.
- Let the pan cool slightly and then transfer the cupcakes to a cooling rack until they’ve cooled completely.
- To make the vanilla topping glaze simply combine the powdered sugar, vanilla, and the milk. Add the milk a bit at a time until your favorite consistency is reached.
- Dip the cupcakes in the glaze and top with some chopped walnuts.