By Lori Stultz, Communications Manager
These Spinach and Tofu Ricotta Puff Pastries will “wow” even the toughest non-vegan food critic. Make and take them to your next family gathering or potluck—they’ll certainly be a hit.
A huge thanks to Kim Sujovolsky at Brownble for this savory and delicious crowd pleaser.
Spinach and Tofu Ricotta Puff Pastries—Venezuelan “Pastelitos”
Yields 4-6 pastries.
- 4 cups spinach
- 1 package extra firm tofu, crumbled
- 1 shallot, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice and some of the zest
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons tahini (sesame seed paste)
- 2 sheets puff pastry (about 500 grams total)
- Pre-heat the oven to 425°F (220°C).
- Steam the spinach in a steamer basket for 5 minutes or until wilted.
- Place it in a colander and once it’s cool enough to handle squeeze as much liquid out of it as you can. Set it aside.
- In a bowl combine the crumbled tofu, shallot, garlic, onion powder, salt, lemon juice and zest, nutritional yeast, and the tahini. Toss until well combined.
- Chop the squeezed spinach and add it to the tofu mixture. Toss again until everything is well combined.
- Set your sheets of puff pastry on top of some parchment paper and roll them out with a rolling pin if they’re too thick until you reach the approximate thickness shown in the video. Trim the edges to form a square and cut it on the diagonal to form two triangles. You can cut it into smaller sections too if you want to make smaller puffs.
- Add some of the spinach and tofu filling to one side of each triangle, fold the puff pastry to cover the filling, pressing the edges and folding them slightly to create a seal. Repeat until you’ve made all your puffs.
- Cut some slits with a knife on the top of each puff to let steam escape and place them on a shallow parchment lined baking sheet.
- Cover with foil and bake in the pre-heated oven for 20 minutes.
- Remove the foil and bake for 5-10 minutes or until lightly golden—keep a very watchful eye during this process to make certain they don’t burn. Enjoy!